Dia de Los Muertos

Mark Mahan, Staff Writer

Everybody knows about Halloween, but in Spanish culture, Dia de Los Muertos takes center stage. Dia de Los Muertos is a Latino holiday that celebrates one’s dead relatives on November 1-2. On November 4, the students and teachers of Spanish classes in the middle school put on a festival in the Clarkson Hall amphitheater showcasing the Spanish traditions.

Dia de Los Muertos originated in Mexico but is now celebrated all over Latin America. The holiday dates back 3,000 years. People honor their dead relatives by creating skulls and altars filled with things they remember their family by.

The middle school Spanish classes replicated traditional activities practiced by the Spanish and Mexican people for Dia de los Muertos. Eighth grader Jayson L. said, “For our celebration of Dia de los Muertos we created altars and sugar skulls to honor our dead relatives.”

The students had a fun week, getting out of the typical routine of Spanish class. The students said they enjoyed learning about Spanish cultures and creating things with their friends. Eighth grade boy Robert B. said, “Yes, I enjoyed the week because it is fun to get away from the normal grind of quizzes and homework to do more arts and crafts.”

Although the holiday is a big deal, not every middle school student has heard of it. Eighth grade boy Taji F. said, “I take Chinese, so I have never really heard of the holiday.” People who don’t have direct interaction with the Spanish program were encouraged to go to the festival to learn more about Spanish culture.

Señora Hartley Glass, a Spanish teacher who helped coordinate the event, said, “The week culminated in the Dia de los Muertos festival in the Clarkson Hall amphitheater, where we enjoyed music, dancing, face painting, games, and traditional Mexican food and drink.”

The November 4 celebration was a big hit with music, fun games, altars, and food for all. The middle school Spanish classes did a fabulous job of showcasing an important Spanish holiday and educating others about Spanish culture.

1 Comment

One Response to “Dia de Los Muertos”

1. Peyton on November 16th, 2016 10:42 am

I think that this is a great idea. My school will not copy your school if that will make you feel better. My school is just starting a newspaper and your newspaper is a good role model for our school. I also think that you should write about the wildfires and Hurricane Matthew.

Dia de Los Muertos