MS Students, Faculty Fallin’ to Pollen

Daniel W., Staff Writer

It’s yellow and annoying, and according to the CDC, over 6 million children in the U.S. are affected by it.

Merriam-Webster defines pollen as a mass of microspores in a seed plant appearing usually as a fine dust.

According to WebMD, symptoms of pollen allergies include watery eyes, sneezing, coughing, runny or stuffy nose, and itchy throat. But in the middle school, some students can also get hives and even bad headaches.

According to Atlanta Allergy and Asthma, the highest pollen count in the Spring so far came on April 12, when it reached 5354. This is the highest pollen count ever since 2015 in Atlanta.

More than 75 percent of middle schoolers have pollen allergies, but only 64 percent take allergy medication.

Ashley McCauley, the middle school nurse, has very bad pollen allergies herself, and because of that takes medication for it. She said, “I see around 15 people including both faculty and students a day complaining about pollen.”

Eighth grade boy Alex E. said, “I take Flonase to help with my watery and itchy eyes, and sometimes I can’t really function when my pollen allergies spike up.” His allergies were also a seven out of 10 with 10 being the worst.

Eighth grade girl Sophia R. also takes Flonase, a nasal spray that is proven to treat allergies better than the number one allergy medicine. She also takes Claritin in the morning to help with her itchy eyes and sore throat. When needed, she will use cough drops.

Some, like sixth grader Max P., use tea and herbal medicine to remedy allergies.

Sixth grader Jack C. said, “I have pollen allergies, and my symptoms are normally a sore throat and a clogged nose.”

Although some don’t have seasonal allergies, most in the middle school are impacted by the yellow troublemaker outside everyday.

Photo by: Daniel W.
A seed plant that releases pollen into the air right outside the MS.