Lent: 40 Days of Suffering for Some

Allie B., Staff Writer

Catholics Mark The Start Of Lent With Ash Wednesday Mass. Photography. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016.

Lent is the 40 days before Easter. It is celebrated by many Christians to honor Jesus’s suffering when he was living in the desert for 40 days with no food and no water.

It starts with Ash Wednesday where many Christians attend mass or a church service and put ashes on their foreheads. The ashes represent that the Bible says humans come from ashes and will return to ashes upon death.

“By the sweat of your face you shall eat bread, till you return to the ground, for out of it you were taken. For you are dust and to dust you shall return,” according to Genesis 3:19.

Not all people that give up something go to an Ash Wednesday service.

Evelyn H., an eighth grade girl said, “Yes, I am giving up soft drinks. Soda isn’t very good for you, and I know I need to drink more water and healthier drinks. I think I’ll probably not cheat and stick with it.” A lot of people are giving up soft drinks because of how unhealthy they are.

Sarah S., an eighth grade girl said, “I’m not giving up anything for lent this year, but I have before in past years. I do observe lent at church though.”  Some students don’t give up anything for lent but still observe the time period at church.

Jan Allen, a middle school teacher said, “This year I’m not giving up anything for lent. I am getting ready to do my swim from the island of Nevis to St. Kitts. So I’m getting ready for that so that’s my main focus.

“I think giving up something for lent is a way to focus more on God. It’s a way to have a daily reminder of why you’re doing something and put God in the forefront of your mind. I have given up things for lent before,” said Ms. Allen.

Norah L., a seventh grade girl, said, “I haven’t given up anything this year, but last year I gave away toys for lent to help people that have less than me.” People can donate items for lent too.

Max N., an eighth grade boy, is not participating in lent. He said, “I don’t see why I should take something out of my life for a certain period.”

People sometimes  have intentions to give items up but don’t always follow through. Sixth grader Marshall B. decided to give up the bookstore due to spending too much money, but he admits to already messing up.

Some students in the middle school gave up things they like, such as soda or visit to the bookstore, for lent this year. While some have given up items in the past, a few have never observed lent.