MS Field Trips: From Light to Dark

Ashley V., Staff Writer

On Monday, August 21, Westminster decided to take all middle schoolers on an off-campus bonding trip. What they didn’t know was that that same day would be the national eclipse day. It turns out that most of the students had a lot of fun and thought the day was a success.

While the eighth grade girls went kayaking, the seventh graders went swimming and played field games, and the sixth graders went to a baseball game. The eighth grade boys went kayaking as well.

Kathleen H., an eighth grader, said, “We had a long drive up to a place in North Georgia where we went kayaking. Then we drove more to a Walmart parking lot and watched the total eclipse. I wish we did a different bonding experience that wasn’t so far away, but I liked getting to see the eclipse in the path of totality. It was very nice that we all got to spend time together.”

Although a lot of students enjoyed the trip, some thought the drive was a little excessive for such a short time in the kayaks. Overall, they liked to spend time with each other outside of school where they didn’t have to stress about their classes.

The advisors that went on the bonding trip saw the experience from a different point of view. Though they were on the same trip, they had the responsibility of keeping track of their advisees and making sure everyone was okay.

Mrs. Tyree Simon, an eighth grade advisor, said, “I really enjoyed it, and I didn’t feel overwhelmed at all. When we got in the kayaks, I felt the need to be with everyone, but I realized how peaceful the river was and everyone was having so much fun. I liked when we got to the parking lot, and we were waiting for the eclipse. It’s nice to have a break from routine and do something outside.”

Although advisors had an obligation to keep track of all the students, they didn’t seem to be overwhelmed. Most thought it was a fun experience and would love to do it again.

Mostly everyone on the trip had a great time, but they didn’t know about all the hard work that went into planning the day. Many teachers at Westminster worked on the event, but Reverend Tina McCormick had an extremely large role in the organizing and preparation.

Rev. McCormick said, “It was challenging to plan because it involved so many people and four different trips, but I felt very appreciated by the response from the students. It was a very unique experience because it only happens once in a lifetime in this area. I would definitely do it again. “

The students, advisors, and other faculty members enjoyed this once in a lifetime experience. Even if the day was tough to plan, most people thought it was fun and enjoyable.

1 Comment

One Response to “MS Field Trips: From Light to Dark”

1. KathleenH0022 on September 13th, 2017 9:10 am

I love your story and I’m glad I got to contribute.

MS Field Trips: From Light to Dark