How To Avoid Catching The Flu

Jordan S., Staff Writer

The flu is here, and it seems like the sickness isn’t leaving anytime soon. Some students have been missing multiple days of school, so to protect oneself from catching the virus, follow these simple tips.

An important step in protecting against flu viruses is staying away from with people who are sick or beginning to get sick.

H1N1 Swine Flu Virus, Photo by CDC

Another way to stop the flu is drinking lots of water and eating nutritious foods. Take a water bottle to school and fill it up a couple times per day.

Also, once a week students should clean their computers, phones, or any other tablets to wipe the germs away from them.

While at school students should avoid touching their noses, eyes, and faces, and wash their hands often. If they don’t have time to wash their hands, keep a hand sanitizer in lockers or bags and use it.

The flu spreads through sneezing, coughing, or talking, so if someone gets the flu, they need to stay home until they are 100 percent better because no one else wants to get sick.

Many get the flu confused with a cold, as symptoms can be similar. Leaving the flu untreated could result in deadly situations.

According to the CDC, the symptoms of the flu include a sore throat, runny nose, fever, cough, chills, body aches, headaches, and vomiting. The cold consists many of the same symptoms, but with a cold people usually don’t get a fever.

Some students at Westminster are using their own tips and tricks to keep themselves healthy during the flu season. A few believe the flu shot is not effective.

Courtney O., a seventh grade girl, said, “Don’t get a flu shot, and don’t let people cough on you or touch you.”

H1N1 Swine Flu Virus, Photo by Science Photo Library

Out of 114 responses to a survey, 65 percent of students say that they got the flu shot this year, but on average, 81 percent say they get the shot every year.

Eighth grade girl Sue J. has a tip for staying healthy. She said, “Avoid people who are sick, even if they say ‘oh, I’m not contagious.’”

From 114 MS students, 86 percent said they wash their hands to avoid sickness and 71 percent say they drink lots of water to not get the flu.

Eighth grade girl Virginia H. said getting lots of sleep helps.

Also, Armstrong J., a sixth grade boy, said, “Just wash your hands and eat healthy.”