Wildcats Work Out to Get Their Heart Rates Up

Photo by Mason S. Ellipticals and Rowers in the Ellis Fitness Room

Mason S., Staff Writer

Once a week in P.E., middle school students endure a tough, challenging Cardio Day, where they work to get in shape and earn a grade. These Cardio Days happen in addition to the units that teachers lead the students through.

Holden S., an eighth grade boy, said, “I personally don’t like it. Just because I don’t like doing cardio, and I’d rather just have more days in the unit to work on my game.”

Cardio Day takes away an extra day from working on a unit, but that doesn’t seem to bother Holden C., a sixth grade boy. He said, “I like Cardio Day. It’s fun to me.”

On the other hand, Yusuf S., a seventh grade boy, said, “I think it’s fine.” He has mutual feelings for this hard workout day.

Consequently, the Ellis Fitness Room has many machines used for Cardio Day, including rowers, bikes, ellipticals, and treadmills. The track and trail are also used.

The workout varies for every Cardio Day, and the toughness depends on the grade level. Holden S. said, “Our coach made us run 15 laps around the track.” This was his hardest workout he’s had to work through.

Also, Holden C. said, “I think I went two miles on a bike.” Each grade level has different workouts from the others, with eighth graders having the toughest and sixth graders having the easiest.

Some students don’t go their hardest. Will R., an eighth grade boy, said, “I don’t go my hardest, but I try to beat someone else.” Will sees it as a competition rather than exercise.

Holden S. said, “I try my hardest because I want to get in better shape, but I still don’t like it.” He sees it as a way to improve.

Sarabeth G., a seventh grade girl, said. “I think Cardio Day helps you to exercise, and it makes sure you’re exercising.” Cardio Day is important to her, but she doesn’t have strong feelings for it. 9 out of 10 teenagers don’t get enough exercise to stay healthy in the U.S.

Coach Jim Collis, one of the many middle school PE teachers, said, “I think Cardio Day is good. I think it’s something that’s a life skill and teaches kids to understand the importance of cardio and getting your heart rate up. It’s a good stress reliever especially with the academic load that we have here, so I’m in favor of it. I think it’s a good thing.”

Coach Collis also said, “Cardio Day is a good thing, but there is nothing like a good game of dodgeball. The kids like that and there’s a lot of good things that come out of dodgeball. At times I think in our modern history of P.E. we lose sight of how fun dodgeball can be for guys.”