Advisement: Looking into the Future

Jack R., Staff Writer

Advisement has been an important part of the middle school for many years and is a bonding experience between the advisor and the students. During the school year, it meets on Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday mornings. Additionally, extra gatherings happen at 10:30 on certain Fridays.

In the mornings, three requirements exist within advisement: attendance, announcements, and a devotional. For example, some advisors may chose to watch a video or give a verbal message. Other advisors let the students choose what they want to do for an inspirational lesson. 

During the school year, advisement activities, including the Solar Eclipse day, are designed to bond classmates and their teachers, using team building games or trips as educational and a break from school.

According to Reverend Tina McCormick, who is in charge of advisement, this year, all of the old goals were wiped away. The two new goals are to play and to connect between students with each other and with adults.

Photo by Kelly Weininger. Students enjoy their trip to Nantahala Outdoor Center.

Advisement has been a Westminster norm for many years. Adam Fry, who has served as an advisor in the middle school for 11 years, has noticed significant changes. “We were always given stuff to do. Now, it’s a lot more self-directed so we get to choose the activity,” he said.

According to Rev, these tweaks are purposeful along with the differences students will see with all-day advisement experiences. She said, “We are taking a hard look at what we do with those days. You may have noticed, in the fall, that they were very short and we just played, really. We just focused on having fun.”

Students have mixed feelings about advisement. Miles C., an eighth grade boy, doesn’t think that it is fun because his group doesn’t do anything. Also, he doesn’t enjoy the strict rules his advisor puts in place.

However, Kent C., a seventh grade boy, believes advisement is fun. One example Kent gave was a fun group just-dance game. Also, Ava R., a sixth grade girl, loves advisement because she gets to meet new people.

This spring, Rev believes the advisement trips should be designed by students. Also, there is some talk about organizing groups by interests in the future. For example, if there was a group that loves to bike, then they could spend the morning biking before school. Later, they could take a small trip to their favorite place to bike as a group. Additionally, Rev would like to change the name of advisement and is open to suggestions.

1 Comment

One Response to “Advisement: Looking into the Future”

1. Chip R. on April 11th, 2018 9:33 pm

This is the best article I have ever read.

Advisement: Looking into the Future