Heads Up; Concussions Collide with the Middle School

Zeke H., Staff Writer

Concussions throughout the middle school have been widespread. With 14 concussions in the middle school since August, head injuries seem to be on the rise. Eighth grade students have accounted for twice as many as seventh grade, and exactly four times the amount of sixth grade.  

From personal experience I found the protocol productive and helpful when followed correctly. It is crucial to be precise and specific with the guide and instructions because every step matters.

Eighth Grade Boys Chair Zeke Hoyos said, “I think the protocol is a well thought process where the student is put at the center, and support comes from different angles.”

Nurse Ashley McCauley is on the MS concussion team, which also includes Dr. Anna Moore, Ms. Leslie Ann Little, and one trainer from Turner, and they meet every Monday to discuss where certain students are as far as the protocol goes.

Dr. Moore created the protocol, which has been tweaked and critiqued to almost perfection. Whether it helps is dependent on the student. “It works really well when people follow it, especially the first 48 hours of caving,” said Nurse McCauley.

The obvious problem is the high amount of concussions attained, but the breakdown comes when people do not know what to do in said situation. Scientists have not yet found a prevention method.

Eighth Grade Girls Chair Vielka Reina said, “Anxiety and stress is produced because if you’re just caving and in class with no screens, it feels like you are getting further behind. As much as you want to do your work, you can’t.”

PE Teacher and Trainer Lauren Carter said, “There is no true way of preventing concussions, but following proper safety guidelines and equipment use can help reduce the risk of getting a concussion.”

One of the last problems that occurs in the protocol is that students will fall behind in classes, and without the right help it can be very pressing to get back to normal. The student should not and can not be expected to do all of the work without the proper help of an adult.

Zeke Hoyos said, “It is important to communicate to the student that healing is the most important thing. And for the school to streamline all makeup work to be made up when the student is ready. Stress comes when a student has a concussion and gets emails from teachers saying you have x, y, z to finish and do, so that we try to make the process as simple and easy as possible.”

Communication, patience, and perseverance are three tips for a full recovery from a concussion.

1 Comment

One Response to “Heads Up; Concussions Collide with the Middle School”

1. Rhodé O. on November 7th, 2018 11:05 am

Good stuff Zeke. I really liked how the people that you interviewed gave you some good information to make your story flow better.