Reed Finally Claims His First Green Jacket

Jacob F., Staff Writer

Photo courtesy of Getty Images

The 2018 Masters could arguably be one of the most exciting of all time.  The race for the green jacket was tight all the way until the end with Patrick Reed coming out on top by one stroke.   

Reed shot 15 under in the tournament, earning his first Masters win ever. Just behind him was Rickie Fowler at 14 under and Jordan Spieth at 13 under.

According to a recent survey in the middle school, 67.8 percent of students watched the Masters and most watched from home.

Reed’s win was built almost entirely off his play on the par 5s.  After the first three days, he was 13 under on the par 5 holes, and he managed four pars on the final day.

Reed’s par 5 play was two strokes from setting a new tournament record held by Greg Norman (1995), Tiger Woods (2010), Ernie Els (2013), and Phil Mickelson (2015).

While most students were rooting for Spieth in the tournament, 66.5 percent were surprised Reed ended up winning.

Willem M. said, ”One thing that was so surprising and exciting about this years Masters was the actual winner. I was expecting someone like Speith to win but instead Patrick Reed, an underdog, came out on top.”

However Hap G. wasn’t surprised. He said, “Patrick Reed played very well, he made a move on Friday, took over the leaderboard on Saturday, and finished it off on Sunday. It’s not surprising; Patrick Reed was due to win a major.”

Even though Spieth fell short of his second jacket, his performance on the final day was one for the record books. Spieth’s final-round 64 tied the tournament mark for the lowest final-round score in Masters history, previously set by six other golfers.

Even though golf can be a slow sport at times, it can also get a little crazy. Charlie Hoffman’s hole-in-one on hole 16 marked the 20th hole-in-one in tournament history, and Sergio Garcia hit the ball into the water five times on a single hole.

Another surprise is that four-time Masters champion Tiger Woods was back in action this year and tied for 32nd in the final standings.

Hap said,”I really liked this year’s Masters. It was exciting all the way until the end with great golfers like Spieth, Reed, and a bunch of good players up there. The past two years have lacked the excitement of this year’s Masters, and it was good to get that back.”