Falcons Ride Ridley Hype

Neil P., Staff Writer

Every year during the end of April, the NFL hosts the draft, when a total of 256 college players join the professional team that picks them. The 2018 draft began with the first round on April 26. The second and third rounds occured on April 27, and rounds four through seven wrapped up on April 28.

For the second consecutive year, the Atlanta Falcons got the 26th overall pick in the first round. Last year, they took Takkarist McKinley, and this year they took Alabama’s star wide receiver, Calvin Ridley.

Based on a survey sent out to the middle school, approximately 63 percent of the respondents watched the NFL draft.

About 71 percent of the 73 respondents are happy with the Falcons drafting Ridley, and about 66 percent are happy with the Falcons’ overall draft picks.

However, some students disagreed because the Falcons’ biggest need was defensive tackle. Even though they addressed that need in the third round by drafting Deadrin Senat, some fans believe that the Falcons could have gotten a much better defensive tackle in the first round.

Another 66 percent of the students believe that Baker Mayfield should not have gone first overall.

Because the Cleveland Browns had two selections within the top 4 picks including the first overall pick, most students believe that they improved the most followed by the New York Giants.

Similarly, Gregg Rosenthal, an NFL analyst, thinks the Giants have improved the most after the draft. Also, Elliot Harrison, another analyst NFL analyst, rates the Philadelphia Eagles as the best team heading into the 2018 NFL season.

Eighth grader Patrick N., sixth grader Robert C., and seventh grader Ireland M. are all happy with the Falcons drafting Calvin Ridley.

According to Patrick, “The Falcons have a really good receiver core and Calvin Ridley will only make it even better.”

Robert only thinks that Ridley will make a big difference, but Ireland thinks the Falcons can make the Super Bowl with their new team.

Patrick also believes that Mayfield should not have gone first overall because he thinks Mayfield is going to be a bust.

Ireland agreed. “Baker Mayfield is better than the others in the draft,” she said.

Similarly, Robert said, “Baker Mayfield should have gone first overall because he led his team to the college football playoffs and because he can scramble.”

Like the survey respondents, Patrick and Robert think the Browns and the Giants have improved the most after a bad season.

All in all, many teams added new talent because of the NFL draft, and now many students are looking forward to watching the young rookies play this fall.

Photo Courtesy of David Furones. Calvin Ridley (in the middle) cries tears of joy, minutes after being drafted by the Atlanta Falcons.