Seventh Grade HoopCats off to an Eventful Start

Henry S., Staff Writer

Photo by Henry S.
Westminster vs. Pace Basketball game

In the seventh grade, basketball is a very popular sport. It’s the first opportunity students have to start playing for their school. Fans love to come and watch the games because of the competitive play on the court.

While the team has a losing record (1-3), it’s only the beginning of the season, and they still have time for improvement. Although Owen O. has contributed six blocks so far this season, the defense can get stronger. Coach Pete Davenport said, “We can play better defense and execute the offense, and that would help our team out.”

The players enjoy their games and their practices. With leadership from Coach Davenport and some of the more experienced players, the Cats hope to start winning more games.

Storey A. said, “I like our practices because we get to scrimmage a lot, and also because I can socialize with my friends.”

Other players also enjoy the practices and the games. Henry C. said, “I like the practices, but the games are much more intense and thrilling.”

So far the Cats have faced Pace, Lovett, and Blessed Trinity. Miles M. said, “We have played hard teams, and we did not play our best, but we will get better throughout the season.”

The team is still working out its flaws. Henry I. said, “We need to work on our teamwork in the games, especially on defense, but other than that I think we can win the rest of our games.”

Overall the seventh grade HoopCats look to build momentum. The season ends in late January, depending on how well they do in Westminster Rotary League Championship.