MS TrackCats Take Their Marks For The Season

Nicholas H., Staff Writer

On February 20, athletes will gather at the track ready for the first day of practice. As the only non-cut spring sport, Track and Field attracts many middle school students. Coached by Dana Notestine, Carolina Mares, Chuck Breithaupt, Gary Jones, Ted Sadtler, T.J. Anderson, Sabrina Johnson, and Kevin Hare, the track team is preparing for the upcoming season.

The team has a total of five meets this season. Sixth grader Blake H.will be a member of the Track and Field team for the first time. He said, “I’m excited to see other schools compete.”

Track and Field has many individual events, but there are some team events. The 4×100 consists of four runners each racing one hundred meters with a baton in hand. As each finishes his or her one hundred meters, they hand the baton to their teammate. Eighth grader Sayan S. ran the 4×100-meter last year. He said, “I really like the team part of the 4×100.”

Pole vault is another event in Track and Field. Using a long pole, athletes run and propel themselves over a bar at a certain height. Eighth grader Peter C., brother of state champion pole vaulter Jack C., pole vaults in the middle school. He said, “I really like the feeling of flying through the air when I vault.”

Seventh grader Laith B. thinks the team will be great this year. He said, “I’m excited to see Elijah and Patrick compete.” Last year Elijah P. and Patrick N. were seventh graders, competing in the long jump and the 1600-meter run, respectively.

Elijah is ready for the long jump this year. The long jump is where an athlete runs down a stretch and leaps from a marked spot, trying to jump as far as possible. He said, “I’m excited to long jump against the Woodward team. They all are really good.”

Track and Field offers many additional events such as high jump, discus, and the running events. Blake said he’s most excited for the 400-meter and long jump. He said,“I’m looking forward to trying something new.”

The Track team competes against other schools, and the meets are very competitive. Laith said he’s excited to see Holy Innocents’ and Lovett compete. He said, “They have very good teams.”

The first track meet is Friday, March 2, against Holy Innocents’ at home.

Photo by Dana Notestine