Calling All Spring Sport Athletes

Janine H., Staff Writer

As the first semester wraps up, middle school students begin to prepare for spring sports. The sports offered for middle schoolers are Track and Field, Lacrosse, Baseball, Golf, Tennis, and for the eighth grade girls, JV Gymnastics.

A great number of athletes are getting ready to try out and to compete in their sports during second semester.

Eighth grade girl Ava W. is looking forward to her spring sport. “I’m planning to do Track and Field in the spring, and I am very excited because it is a great opportunity to be with your gals and exercise every day.”

Many students are already practicing their spring sports and are hoping to make the cut sports while others are preparing for non-cut sports.

Seventh grade boy Lawton S. has been practicing for his spring sport. “I’m trying out for baseball in the spring, and I have been practicing by playing fall and winter baseball. Some ways I have trained for it have been speed and acceleration work.”

The school says that sixth graders aren’t allowed to compete in any sports in the spring, yet they still are allowed to participate in Track and Field practices.

Sixth grade boy Shailen K. would like to see some changes. “I think sixth graders should be able to compete and participate in more sports to help balance school work and physical activity, and I think if they at least provide one more sport we can be active in, it would be fair,” he said.

Some types of skills athletes are working on don’t only involve physical activities but mental too. Getting in good shape, participating in practice camps/teams, and setting realistic goals can help one become a better athlete than before.

Over time, the Westminster Athletic program has provided many sports for each season to make sure athletes can practice their skills, obtain confidence, gain strength, and set goals to make themselves the best athletes they can be.

Photo by Janine H. Middle School students get ready for spring sports in the second semester.

2 Comments

2 Responses to “Calling All Spring Sport Athletes”

1. Allie on December 14th, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi Janine! This story is so interesting and it makes me excited about spring sports!
    – Allie Ross

2. Denise P. on December 15th, 2018 10:40 am

Interesting article. I can’t wait for Spring to come so I can check out the action in Track & Field!

Calling All Spring Sport Athletes