Jumping Into Middle School

Henley T., Staff Writer

Photo by Dave King, Britannica Image Quest

In the middle school at Westminster, there’s a new attraction. The jump roping club opened for the first time during club period on Friday. It was destined to be a hit, but nobody expected just how popular it would be.

The first time the club met, it took place in Oglesby. The problem was, there were so many students that showed up, they ran out of space and jump ropes. As a result, the club was moved to Turner Gym.

Almost seventy percent of students surveyed said that they would join the club. Quinn S., a seventh grade girl, said, “I think that the club is a good way for the middle school to stay active while having fun.”

Others, like Lauren F., an eighth grade girl, aren’t as interested in the club. “I probably wouldn’t join the club. I mean, I like jump roping, but not for a club.”

Jenny J., a seventh grader, said, “It sounds really fun, but I already go to other clubs.”

Basically, jump roping is fun to some students, but for others, joining a club is too much of a commitment.

Henry C., a seventh grade boy, thinks that it’s a really fun activity. “I like jump roping because there are a lot of different tricks that you can do.”  Middle schoolers enjoy jumping many different ways such as forwards, backwards, cross overs, and group jump roping.

Some, like Hayes W., an eighth grade boy, don’t enjoy jump roping at all. Hayes said, “It’s boring. I don’t like jumping.”

The same goes for sixth grade boy, Carter B., who said, “I’m not amazing at jump roping, so it can be very frustrating.”

Some students were introduced to jump roping earlier than others. Many just picked up a jump rope laying around the house and practiced until they got the hang of it. Other students learned how to jump rope when they were at school. Ives C., a sixth grade girl, said, “I got interested in jump roping during first grade here at Westminster.”

Many students like Jack B., a sixth grade boy, started jumping at his elementary school. One place  that took jump roping extremely serious was Morris Brandon Elementary.

“Every day at the beginning of P.E., we jumped rope,” said eighth grader Sue J. “Jump roping at Morris Brandon was very competitive. There was a tryout and everything.”

The jump roping club meets regularly, and Mrs. Stout is the advisor.