Jianzi: A Time for Exercise and Fun

Ethan R., Staff Writer

Photo by Ethan R.

Jianzi is a popular club in the Middle School. Students attend this club four times a month and attempt to beat their records each Friday.

Jianzi is a traditional Chinese national sport in which players aim to keep a heavily weighted shuttlecock in the air by using their bodies, apart from the hands.

The shuttlecock used in the game typically has four feathers fixed into a rubber sole or plastic disc. There are two ways to play the game: students can form teams of 5-10 people and try to keep the shuttlecock in the air, or people can play alone. Club Jianzi takes place in room 106, hosted by Chinese teacher Pearl Zhu.

Eighth grader Will R. said, “It is very fun to play, and it provides me a lot of exercise.”

Will loves playing the game Jianzi and thinks it is providing him exercise to help him throughout the day.

Eighth grader Hayes W. said, “I have never been to Jianzi club, but I have always thought about going. It looks like a lot of fun.” Typically Hayes plays outside instead of going to a club.

Sixth grader Philips M. said, “I enjoy Jianzi very much, I visit there every Friday with a couple of my friends. Most of the time I do a group of four and try and keep it up as long as we can.”

Philips loves playing Jianzi; he goes every time he gets a chance and attempts to beat his record.

Eighth grade girl Mia L. said, “I have been to Jianzi once or twice before, and it seemed fun, but I am not very good at it.”

Some would rather play the game on their own. Sixth grade girl Lorelei C. said, “I go all the time, but normally I like to play by myself because it is a lot more fun.”

Photo by Ethan R.