The 2018-19 Go-To Clubs in the Middle School

Ikechi A., Staff Writer

Clubs at Westminster are groups that get people together to hang out and explore their hobbies. During the first weeks of school, students had multiple leadership and club opportunities presented to them. New clubs were created over the summer and are popular places to hang out and learn things. Currently, students choose between 32 different clubs.

Some meet during the club period on Fridays, and some meet after school. One of the clubs with the highest participation is the Alfred Hitchcock Club, led by eighth grade English teacher Colin Mackey.

“Part of it is, lots of students would rather watch a movie than go to study hall. Some kids don’t enjoy these movies because they are old and boring. But Hitchcock movies are thrillers with fighting that can entertain students and can have them on the edge of their seats,” said Mr. Mackey.

Each year, three to four people are chosen to be class representatives for each group. Their job is to be council for students and set a good example for their peers.  They represent their grade when speaking to adults and teachers.

“What is unique about class reps is that it is elected by class vote. To some degree, we are taking people who are seen as leaders by their peers and turning them into a force of good for our middle school,” said eighth grade teacher Danny Alexander, who also advises the class representatives.

There are also leadership opportunities for academic clubs. For example, leaders for the debate club are chosen to assist students as they begin their journey into debate. At least 30 new members have joined this year, and leaders help by teaching them about debate and setting an example of how to work in the classroom.

Photo courtesy of Kristen Orsini. The 2018-19 Debate Team gathers every Monday for practice.

“Leadership is more of an attribute then something that can be taught. You can train and improve as a leader, but things that make up leadership are primarily inherent. Some people are born faster runners. You can train to be faster, but never as fast as someone like Usain Bolt,” said Mr. Alexander.

“Being a born leader is to be a natural leader. At Westminster, we speak as if it is positively inherent, although, there can be a very influential leader, but in a negative way,” said said Mr. Alexander.

Also popular this year are the affinity groups., which are for students to learn about the topic of race and their own racial identity. It’s also an opportunity to hang out with friends and have fun.

“Affinity groups have made me feel more welcome knowing that there are more people in this school with my complexion. It’s a really good place to make friends and relate to people who are the minority like you,” said eighth grader Zeke H.