High School Musical Jr. Behind the Scenes

Sai T., Staff Writer

Photography. Britannica ImageQuest, Encyclopædia Britannica, 25 May 2016.

Every school year, the DramaCats in the middle school will host two to three plays, and this semester the students will unveil a special production of High School Musical Jr. on February 3 and 4.

The DramaCats have been working on the production since the middle of December when auditions were held. Adam Fry is the director of the musical and the student director is a freshman named Schyler Rowland.

The students and teachers involved have a variety of favorite and least favorite parts of pulling the show together.

Patrick C., an eighth grader, said, “My favorite part of making the musical is hanging out with friends, learning fun choreography, and dancing to lit music during our breaks. I’d say the most difficult of the play is having a little bit of stage fright, but it is not as bad on stage. Also memorizing the script and choreography can be a little irritating.”

Eighth grader Chloe E. enjoys many of the same aspects. She said, “I love learning the dances everyday because they are extremely fun. I also like hanging out with my friends. The most difficult part is singing while dancing because I get out of breath a lot. I overcome it by practicing a lot.”

“The most difficult part of the play is probably memorizing all of my lines and memorizing all the songs, ” said Dorothy Bird, an eighth grader.

Some of the students grumbled about the time to complete homework and various other activities due to the duration of each rehearsal of the musical.

“It’s been hard to do all of my homework and go straight from the play to volleyball practice, but mostly it’s just been a little harder than usual. Other plays and musicals didn’t take up as much time,” said Chloe.

Dorothy B. said,“The play has definitely taken up a lot of my time in the past couple weeks. Sometimes it is harder to complete my school work since I have been getting home later. I have also had less time to study for things, so that has been a bit stressful.”

Kaelan K, an eighth grader, said, “It is hard sometimes hard to complete homework because I have soccer after school, but I can keep up for the most part.”

High School Musical Jr. has become quite hyped up for the young middle schoolers, and they will continue to face challenges along the way. The DramaCats are ready to sing, dance, and act their way through the difficulties to put on the best possible show next week.

“I personally love the ‘get’cha head in the game’ scene because all of the jocks use actual basketballs, and we do the dance with basketballs the entire time. Also, the “megamix” is really awesome because it has all of the songs combined and everyone is dancing in this number,” said Chloe E.

“The song We’re All In This Together is going to be awesome! I can’t wait for the audiences to see this one. I know that everyone knows this song, but there is something about seeing it live on stage. It’s gonna blow people away,” said Mr. Fry.