The Little Mermaid Jr. Sneak Peak

Cate S., Staff Writer

Ready or not, the Middle School DramaCats will be taking the stage on February 2 and 3. They will be performing The Little Mermaid Jr.

The actors have been practicing, singing, and dancing everyday for almost two months since their auditions in the beginning of December. Adam Fry is the director of this year’s musical, but he is not doing it all by himself. He has help from “Stage Moms,” the tech crew, and two student directors from the Upper School.

Last year, the Drama Cats performed High School Musical Jr, but this year they are doing something different. So different, in fact, that the setting is under the sea.

Mr. Fry, the musical director, said, “The Little Mermaid is my absolute favorite show, and it came out when I was 11 or 12. I secretly loved the show. It was one of the first movies or musicals that I saw, and it had a big impact on my life. When it came time to choose a show, I came across The Little Mermaid. I knew it was time I had to do it and live out the dream.”

Matias H., an eighth grade boy, said, “I am Sebastian in the musical. It has been a blast so far, and I’m really excited!”

Two weeks out from the opening show, many people agreed that they were not prepared for the musical. Due to the snow days, they missed three key rehearsals. Alex Z., an eighth grade girl, said, “No! We are not ready at all!”

Mr. Fry had to agree with this too. “As of today, we are not ready. We have lost a lot of time from the snow. We are going to get there absolutely, but it’s just been really hard to make up the time. At this point no, but ask me in a few days, then yes,” he said.

Even though everyone might be stressed out because of the opening show coming up soon, they all are still having fun along the way.

James R., a seventh grade boy, said, “The reason I wanted to do this was because you get to make a lot of friends along the way. I am able to make friends with people that are in eighth or sixth grade. The musical was fun for me last year, so I decided to do it again this year.”

Alex Z. also loves to be in the Middle School musicals. She said, “I’m Ariel in this year’s musical. So far it’s been really fun. I really like singing and performing for people.”

Photo taken by Cate S.