Painter Scott McIntyre Left his Mark on Clarkson Hall

Margaret R., Staff Writer

There are many features in Clarkson Hall, including a chapel with a stained glass window, the Innovation Lab, and a kiln for firing ceramics. One of the most prominent is the mural in the arts and sciences commons.

A muralist named Scott McIntyre painted most of this artwork. He had the help of two retired Westminster art teachers, Pat McAtee and Mary Cobb who both portrayed something special to them in the artwork. Ms. McAtee painted the picture of the ballerina, and Ms. Cobb painted the teapot.

When many students walk by this mural, it makes them feel welcomed and ready for the day. “When I go to class and walk by the mural it makes me feel that I can do anything and gets me ready for my next class. And if I am having a bad day, it gets my mood upbeat and happier,” said Avery M., an eighth-grade girl.

The mural is in the middle of Clarkson which makes it the main attraction, but many students have no clue of what’s happening in the piece. Trisha Dodt, the administrative assistant for the Head of the Middle School, said, “It reflects on the curriculum of what we teach, and we wanted to show off our arts and sciences.”

Although it makes students happier and more prepared, many don’t know what it means. “I am confused. Many things are going on in this painting. You cannot focus on one thing. It reminds me of science and how life began,” said Mason T., a sixth-grade boy.

Did you notice the two holes shaped like squares in the wall? In the process of painting the mural the Westminster administration thought it would be cool if there were a way to project announcements or news across to the other wall. Although it was never done, those holes remain today.

You may wonder what is it doing there? Ms. Dodt mentioned, “We wanted to fill the blank space and add something modern and funky to the new Middle School. We wanted students to walk by this mural and wonder: What is going on? How does this connect to Westminster?”

Some students are making assumptions of what it means and what it is doing here at Clarkson. Lawrence M., an eighth-grade boy, said, “I think it is there because it shows us, students, that there is always room for growth, and it’s not the beginning nor the end.”

Photo courtesy of Trisha Dodt.