Students Pick Their Favorite Flicks of Summer

Back to Article
Back to Article

Photo Courtesy of Sophia R.

Photo Courtesy of Sophia R.

Photo Courtesy of Sophia R.

Photo Courtesy of Sophia R.

Sophia R., Staff Writer

As fall approaches and summer comes to a close, the movies of the past season are left behind. With huge films such as Wonder Woman and Dunkirk, this year was a big one.

The five highest grossing movies of this summer were Wonder Woman, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, Spider Man: Homecoming, Despicable Me 3, and Dunkirk.

Carter B., a sixth grade boy, said, “I liked Dunkirk because the storyline was amazing, and it was really cool how it was a true story.”

Seventh grader Reese N. agrees with Carter. He said, “I really liked Dunkirk because of the visuals in it.”

Dunkirk was one of the highest grossing movies of the summer, making over 183 million dollars and also receiving a 93 percent on Rotten Tomatoes. Even though Dunkirk was a box office hit and received high ratings, Wonder Woman made even more money with over 410 million dollars and got a 92 percent on Rotten Tomatoes.

“I really liked Wonder Woman because it was empowering,” said sixth grade girl Abigail J.

Baywatch, an old TV show that was turned into a movie, was also popular among students. “I liked how in Baywatch there were some characters from the original show in it,” said sixth grade girl Cate D.

Even though it was popular, Baywatch was one of the lowest grossing movies of the summer, making 58 million dollars. Though Baywatch scored low at the box office, Spiderman: Homecoming was a success with over 330 million dollars.

Eighth grade girl Taylor G. enjoyed Spiderman and said, “It was good and funny. I saw it with my brother, and I think he really enjoyed it.”

Spiderman: Homecoming received a 92 out of 100 on Rotten Tomatoes, tying it for the second highest score behind Dunkirk’s 93.

Seventh grade boy Sam R. enjoyed Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. He said, “It was really action-packed. I liked the opening scene when Groot was dancing.”

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2, a sequel to the 2014 film Guardians of the Galaxy, was the second highest grossing movie of the summer with 390 million dollars.

Overall, middle school students enjoyed watching many summer movies. As they say goodbye to these box office hits, the middle school looks forward to 2018 and some new movies.