Can’t Keep Up With the Kardashians

Julia P., Staff Writer

Photo courtesy of Vimeo.

Ask any middle schooler about the latest drama with Khloe or Kylie, and they will probably have an opinion. Between television and social media, the Kardashians have invaded the internet.

Reality shows have been around since the early 80’s, and they have gained popularity throughout the years. The most popular have been Survivor, The Bachelor, American Idol, and of course, Keeping Up with the Kardashians (KUWTK).

Most students think reality shows are funny, but repetitive and all the episodes are similar.

Some of the more popular shows in the middle school include The Bachelor, The Real Housewives, and Keeping Up with the Kardashians.

Helen R., an eighth grade girl, occasionally watches the show which follows the lives of the Kardashians and Jenners. She said, “I like it sometimes. Most of the time it’s stupid, but when I’m bored it’s interesting to watch.”

Keeping Up with the Kardashians has had 14 seasons, each being extremely successful. According to Nielson Media Research, within the first week of the show being on air, it had 1.3 million views.

When asked if the episodes have gotten better or worse, Armstrong J., a sixth grade boy, said, “The episodes have gotten worse; they are less entertaining.”

Helen said, “I think they have gotten better just because the sisters have gotten more popular on social media.”

As most people know, the Kardashian/Jenner sisters have a large impact on social media. Kim Kardashian, Kylie Jenner, and Kendall Jenner were all in the top 10 most followed people on Instagram in 2017.

Khloe Kardashian currently has the fifth most-liked picture on Instagram with 8.8 million likes. The photograph announced her pregnancy on December 20, 2017. People that watch the show know that Khloe has wanted children of her own for years, but many were surprised when it finally happened.

Zeke H., a seventh grade boy, said, “I was shocked.”

The most recent rumor or theory having to do with the Kardashians was whether or not Kylie Jenner, the youngest of the Kardashian/Jenner sisters, was pregnant.

In some pictures, Kylie is seen with a bump, but it has been hard to spot because she has been wearing loose-fitting clothes (which is strange for a Kardashian), and has been absent from many of the latest family outings.

On Sunday, February 4, Kylie finally announced that she has had a baby girl. She apologized for keeping her fans in the dark, but that she wanted to keep her pregnancy out of the media. Fans still don’t know the baby’s name, but no doubt they will tune in for the next episode.