The Middle School’s Favorite Music

Alexa L., Staff Writer

Whether while doing homework or working out or on the way to and from school, most middle school students listen to music. In fact, some say it is a highlight.

According to a recent survey of middle school students, where 181 people responded, the favorite genres of music include pop and rap.

According to INEWS network, “Music is a great positive influence to teenagers that provides an escape from the harsh realities of school work and social dilemmas. It calms and soothes their minds, causing them to experience euphoria.”

The 2019 Grammys aired on February 10, where artists like Ariana Grande and Childish Gambino received awards for Best Pop Vocal Album and Best Record and Song, respectively.

While not many watched the Grammys live, results from the Grammys accurately represent what is popular in the middle school. The students’ favorite artists include Ariana Grande and Post Malone, who were both were nominated for Grammy Awards.

Besides, the middle school seems to like the songs Sunflower and 7 Rings, which are both by Ariana Grande and Post Malone.  

Grace C., an eighth grade girl, loves Post Malone because he is versatile. She said, “I like Post Malone because he makes music that I can listen to if I’m in the mood for rap, but if I’m in the mood for chill, I can listen to his music too.”

In general, students like music that makes them feel good and provides a pick me up. Moreover, music tastes vary day to day depending on moods, according to Will S., a seventh-grade boy.

Kendall H., a sixth grade girl, loves “Fight Song” by Rachel Platten because it is inspirational and catchy.

Many students love country music, such as seventh-grader Jeb B. and Kendall H.; however, Kendall likes Taylor Swift’s version better.

Also, eighth-grader Caroline I. loves Taylor Swift because of her enchanting concerts.  Recently, P!nk and Dan + Shay toured, and soon Ariana Grande will be touring with her album, Sweetener.

Photo courtesy of Ariana Grande’s Wiki fandom. The song “7 Rings” by Ariana Grande is one of the most popular in the middle school.