Eighth Graders Leave Behind Their Words of Wisdom

Jack S., Staff Writer

Eighth graders love passing on advice to their sixth grade friends.
Photo courtesy of Jack S.

As the end of the school year approaches, the eighth graders are already beginning to think about high school. However, new beginnings are never complete without some reflection on past experiences.

At this point in the year, eighth grade students reflect on their accomplishments and what helped them achieve these feats. One common product of this reflection that spans generations of students is advice for those who follow.

Rosa K. came to Westminster in seventh grade. “When I came to Westminster, I didn’t know many people because all of the new kids came from Trinity and no one came from my school,” she said.

“I think that students who are new should try to get to know others instead of being scared of all of the people who they don’t know. As for those who aren’t new,” she continued, “reach out to the new kids because they are in difficult situations.”

Holland B. has been at Westminster for nine years and had a brother who went through middle school before he did, so he had the chance of knowing what was coming. “On the rare occasion that something went wrong, I just asked someone for help and moved on,” he said.

“Mainly, I just kept in my head that everything was going to be fine,” he continued. “I guess my advice would be not to get too uptight and just to go with the flow, remembering that middle school isn’t that big of a deal in the scheme of things.”

Ryan H. wanted to pass along some advice he that he received when he was entering middle school. “Some advice that I received was to communicate with my teachers and to show them my process,” he said. “If you explain what you are trying to do and show your work and how you got to your final product, they will be more likely to understand what you are trying to do.”

“As for advice that I would give to younger students,” he continued, “use some of the time most students spend hanging out at the bookstore or campus center doing work and asking questions.”

In conclusion, if students are nervous about middle school, they shouldn’t be, because with the help some simple guidance, their middle school experience could change significantly for the better.