So Many Chances to Lead in the MS

Ashley V., Staff Writer

Photo Courtesy of Rev. McCormick
Last year’s Chapel Council members prepare for an assembly.

The Middle School offers everyone many opportunities to be a leader. Some of those include Class Representative, Service Council, Chapel Council, Tuesday Morning Prayer Leader, Global Ambassador, Big Sister Lead, Honor Council, and Steam Council.

Some of these groups are brand new to the Middle School this year, such as Global Ambassador and Steam Council. Global Ambassador is a group that encourages students to be leaders, globally-minded, and innovative.

The Class Representatives for each grade were recently elected, and the Service Council applications were due this week. Tuesday Morning Prayer Group Leaders will give devotionals and prayers for their peers, while eighth grade Big Sister Leads will have the chance to work with sixth graders.

Ruthie H., an eighth grade girl, said, “I’m on the Honor Council, and we lead Monday Morning Meetings. I help out with reading the announcements during MMM, and I give advice on the Honor cases. I like how we’re all really close and can express our opinions. Although, I wish we did more things during the school day and not in the mornings as much.”

The students involved in leadership seem to really enjoy being a part of a group that can make a difference in their community. Most of them also love having people that they can talk to.

Tim Shabanowitz, one of the Steam Council Advisors, said, “This is the first year we are doing Steam Council, made up of thirteen seventh and eighth graders. Steam Council is about teaching students how to use the machines in the Steam Lab and having them help other students to understand it as well. We meet twice a month and also during club periods on Fridays.”

Some might think that the teachers that are also leaders get a bit overwhelmed from all the responsibility, but most love to teach young students and enjoy being a part of such an impactful group.

Reverend Tina McCormick, the Chapel Council Leader, said, “I love leading Chapel Council because I love to see shared responsibility and people stepping up and producing something. We meet twice a month, and our mission is to plan an assembly every month and three assemblies during Christian Emphasis Week.”

Most of the students and faculty think that these leadership groups are great opportunities to get involved in their school and their community. This is a wonderful chance to broaden young students’ leadership skills.

1 Comment

One Response to “So Many Chances to Lead in the MS”

1. CarolineD0022 on October 6th, 2017 1:00 pm

Very interesting the way you explained the different leadership opportunities! Great story!

So Many Chances to Lead in the MS