You Are What You Eat

Ruthie H., Staff Writer

Photo by Ruthie H.

Some say an apple a day keeps the doctor away. “To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art,” said Francois de La Rouchefoucald, a French writer. Have you ever wondered what middle school students eat in a day and do they even care about the nutritional values of the food they are eating?

According to the CDC research shows that proper nutrition is connected to academic success.

In a survey given to all middle schoolers where 246 responded, 24 percent of students eat cereal for breakfast, while 15 percent don’t eat breakfast at all.

Ives C., a sixth grade girl, is part of the 24 percent who eat cereal for breakfast, while seventh grade girl, Nyambura K., usually eats pancakes for breakfast.

According to the survey, 46 percent of MS Wildcats eat the hotline for lunch, and just under 19 percent eat paninis.

Eighth grade boy Parker C. is part of the 19 percent that eat paninis for lunch. He said, “I either put turkey or ham on my panini, and the long line kind of annoys me.”

After students leave Westminster at the end of the school day, they are on their own for evening meals and snacks. About one third of the students surveyed eat chicken for dinner, and chips are a very common snack.

Nyambura said, “I eat chips like Doritos as a snack pretty much every day after school.”

More than half of the students say that they sometimes think about the nutritional values of the food that they are eating. Parker, like many others, says that sometimes he thinks about the nutritional values of the food he is eating.

Kaci Roberts teaches physical education and health in the middle school, where each grade level covers the topic of nutrition. She said, “Nutrition is something that affects the rest of your life and health benefits in the future. Nutrition affects how you feel on a day to day basis and how you perform as an athlete.” She believes that the earlier students learn good nutrition, the better off they will be later in life.

1 Comment

One Response to “You Are What You Eat”

1. VirginiaM0022 on March 29th, 2018 11:14 am

Great story Ruthie! That plate looks AMAZING!

You Are What You Eat