Teens and Sleep: From A to Zzzzzzz

Brooks P., Staff Writer

Sleeping is considered to be one of the biggest necessities for teenagers. The average teen sleeps about seven and a half hours each night, about one and a half hours less than the preferred nine.

The National Sleep Foundation says that teens need about eight to ten hours of sleep each night, and that sleep is almost as important as the air one breathes.

Distractions such as phones, TVs, computers, etc. play a big role in teenagers losing sleep. Westminster middle school students fall victim to these distractions as well. Eighth grade girl Walton N. said that her phone is a distraction before bed.

She’s not the only one. Eighth grade girl Kendall O. said, “I sleep better when I stay off my phone.”

Lack of sleep or sleep deprivation can cause health risks. Middle School nurse Ashley McCauley said that the lack of sleep can cause one’s immune system to slow down and that can lead to getting sick.

With school winding down, students are looking forward to getting more sleep. Seventh grade boy Vincent B. said, “Sleeping late is one of my favorite things to do in the summer.”

Westminster implemented a late arrival day every Wednesday last year with the school day beginning at 8:55a.m. instead of 7:55 a.m. Many students have used the extra sleep time to rest and recharge for the rest of the week.

Eighth grade boy Holden S. takes advantage of the new Wednesday schedule and said, “I get more sleep, so I feel more refreshed.”