What is the True Meaning of Labor Day?

Evelyn S., Staff Writer

Who doesn’t love an extra day off of school, especially a Monday? Most schools have the first Monday of September off for Labor Day.

Many people focus on the day off and don’t understand the actual meaning of this holiday.

Anyssa P., an eighth grade girl, said, “I think that Labor Day is to celebrate when moms go into labor.”

In fact, Labor Day is a public holiday celebrated on the first Monday in September to honor the workers in the United States. Some schools don’t start until after Labor Day, while others begin earlier in August.

According to the Library of Congress, Peter J. McGuire, a carpenter and labor union leader, came up with the concept for Labor Day. He proposed his idea to New York’s Central Labor Union early in 1882, and they thought it was brilliant.

The very first Labor Day was celebrated in New York on September 5, 1882. Next, on June 28, 1894, Congress passed an act that made the first Monday of September a legal holiday in the United States.

Many students and teachers enjoy this day off so they can get ahead with work or take a break from school for an extra day.

Brooks B., a seventh grade boy, said, “In the past we have always gone to my lake house for Labor Day.”

Teachers also enjoy the weekend off and get to have fun like the students. Some went out of town while others stayed in Atlanta.

Danny Alexander, a seventh grade English teacher, said, “On Saturday I went to the Georgia Tech game. They played Alcorn State; it was very fun.”

Many people enjoy the long weekend because of the extra day off, but others like to catch up on sleep and go on vacations with their families.

Anyssa said, “My favorite part about having the extra day off was having extra time to sleep in.”

Photo by Evelyn S.