Recess: The Perfect Way to Blow Off Steam

Tyler H., Staff Writer

In the Middle School, recess and fruit break are some of the most popular times of the day. It is an opportunity for students to blow off some steam in between classes, and it is a great break to get away from some of the stress of school.

Fruit break is a daily mid-morning break after the first two classes of the day, and recess is always after lunch, as well as during some assembly periods on Tuesdays and Fridays.

Recess is one of the best times of the day for middle schoolers, and there are many activities and games that can be played, either inside or outside. “It a break from school and it is fun to hang out with friends,” said eighth grade boy John F.

“I think it is a nice way to relax after a couple of classes,” agreed seventh grader Rohit R.

Some of the games played outside during recess are basketball, four square, soccer four square, wall ball, soccer, and football. Kate B, a seventh grade girl, said, “My favorite thing to do at recess is playing soccer because it is something I don’t get to do as often anymore.”

“My favorite activity at recess is playing basketball because I get to play a lot, and other times I can’t as much,” said Cody J., a sixth grade boy.

Some students at Westminster enjoy spending recess inside. While inside, students socialize with friends, play cards, read, catch up on school work, and more. Seventh grade girl Ava B. said, “I have spent most of this year reading during recess.”

Photo by Tyler H. This is the one of the locker commons, and it is a place where a lot of the middle schooler are during the day.

Many students acknowledge recess as the greatest time of the day to talk and catch up with friends. Eighth grade boy Henry C. said, “During recess, I chill out with my friends, and it’s a great time to socialize.”

Around the middle school, there are many places where students can enjoy their daily break. “During recess, I like to hang out in the locker commons and amphitheater,” said Lawton S., a seventh grade boy.

Sixth grader Caroline D. said, “I love playing soccer four square in the sixth grade courtyard.”

Most seventh and eighth graders prefer to spend their recess time in Zakas courtyard.

Throughout the middle school, recess and fruit break are cherished times, where students and teachers happily take a break from school stress. Finally,  the one suggestion everyone agreed on: make it longer.

Photo by Tyler H. The amphitheater is one of the places where students spend recess during the day. During recess students play many activities in this area.